The DEVELOPMENT AND QUALITY EVALUATION OF INSTANT ARROWROOT PAYASAM MIX
Payasam is a part of authentic Kerala feast and is served as an offerings to God as a part of rituals or ceremonies. In Kerala, during the occasion of Thiruvathira, arrowroot payasam is prepared when women are abstain from consuming rice. Conventionally, Arrowroot Payasam is prepared by boiling arrowroot powder in coconut milk, water with the addition of jaggery and cardamom. Arrowroot is a plant which is underutilized but with many nutritional benefits apart from being a good source of starch. It possess demulcent and anti-diarrhoeal properties and is therefore used in intestinal disorders. Arrowroot has been found beneficial to pregnant women as it contain good amount of folate. Homemade food are now being replaced by instant foods which are growing in demand due to urbanization. As the number of working women is increasing the demand for such foods is on upsurge. As the demanding working times and lifestyle habits leave very little time for cooking, therefore an attempt to prepare instant mix of Arrowroot Payasam is undertaken through this study. For making RTC Arrowroot Payasam mix, the ingredients arrowroot powder, oats, coconut milk powder, jaggery, cardamom and nuts were added. Different treatments were conducted by mixing the ingredients in different amounts and sensory evaluation was done to obtain the best treatment. The highly scored treatment sample was then prepared in bulk, packed in standy pouches made up of LDPE. The samples were kept for storage and shelf life studies and analysed for physio-chemical, microbial count and sensory evaluation for 2 months. The product was found to remain in good condition for 60 days.
• Anonymous, Swiss Association of Nutrition, 2009.
• AOAC, 2000, Official Methods of Analysis Association of official analytical chemistry, N.C. Maryland, USA, 18th edition.
• A. Prakash and S.Sudeesh,2016, Carnivalesque in Thiruvathira Festival of Kerala: A Socio-cultural study, International Journal of Informative and Futuristic Research.
• Subbiah, 2014, Indian Food Industry mag,(33),no.4.
• B.Srilakshmi, 2015,: Food Science, New Age International publishers(6th Edition).
• Frazier C. William’s, Dennis C, 2017, Food Microbiology (5th Edition), McGraw Hill Education;512
• “ConvenienceFoods”Swiss Association for Nutrition, 2003.
• Food Safety and Standard Regulations,
, 7thedition, International Law Book Company, New Delhi.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Food and Agriculture Spectrum Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.